Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Haptic Compass

I've always been fascinated by the idea of clothing or jewelry that could augment our own senses in some helpful way. I already wear one of these inventions every day. I call them eye glasses. My students call them old fashioned.
"Why don't you get contacts Mr. G? It would make you look so much younger!"

The belt in this article has a series of small vibrators built into it and which are then wired into an electronic compass. If I understand it correctly, the vibrator closest to North is always activated (vibrating) effectively keeping you continuously oriented. I'd love to try something like this out.

I have often wondered if you did use a device like this if it would improve your sense of direction or hurt it when you took it off. Would your body get dependent on it or would it help you to better utilize all your senses? Fun research question.

[via Make]
[Image: Captured from "Haptic Compass": Make: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/02/haptic_compass.html?CMP=OTC-0D6B48984890]

No comments:

Post a Comment