Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Color Sphere

I have a color disability. I often will use color combinations that are less then pleasing to the normal eye when left by myself in a room with paper and crayons. I've learned to rely on color palettes or programs that create them when designing web pages. While not perfect, they've been a blessing for a guy like me. I've found they also help my students think about color. Usually, kids want to put up the brightest, loudest shades they can regardless of content or readability. Any of you who have taught word processing to children on the day they discover they can control the color of fonts know what I am talking about.

The online program I'll be introducing to my students this year is hosted by a site called ColorJack. I recently came across this one and the interface is fairly easy to understand and operate. The site also has some articles about color so you can quikcly read up on what are the differences between a complementary and a triadic palette.

Ultimately, I'm not the person to seek out for color advice and I'm told that these programs are also not perfect. So, use them as a guide and then trust your own eye. Or in my case, the eye of someone who can tell the difference between purple and blue, like my wife. She probably won't be available for a lot of color consultation, so you should seek out a wife closer to home. Possibly your neighbors? Your own?

If you are a color blind wife, I'm at a loss as to who to recommend you to ask for color advice. Good luck with that.

[Image: Captured from Colorjack.com:http://www.colorjack.com/sphere/]

No comments:

Post a Comment