Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Thumb Piano


Saw this idea for using a grounding block to make a thumb piano somewhere last spring but I only got as far as pricing the pieces at my local hardware store before getting sidetracked by other things (not unusual for me). Forgot about it until this posting on Make about a cool looking thumb piano.

There are lots of good shots of the builder's finished instruments and some modifications he made to add some buzzing to the sound on his flickr photostream.

While searching for some information on grounding blocks, I found what I think is the first post I saw last year on Instructables. It is by the same guy who made the one shown.

When I went looking for a grounding bar, I had a few difficult moments explaining to the gentleman at the hardware store what I wanted. It didn't help that I needed one to build a musical instrument and really didn't know the real use of the item except that vaguely it was used for "grounding". After searching the electrical section of the store he eventually helped me find it.



To save you some time I captured a picture of a grounding bar in the package and a link to Ace Hardware. This link may not last forever and if it gets changed just go to Ace and search for "ground bar kit". Or print this picture out before heading off to the store. Maybe you can avoid having your hardware clerks whisper about you and draw straws to see who has to wait on you while you wander the aisles.












[Image from flicker: Uploaded on May 13, 2008 by yapruder: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41969054@N00/2490215681/]

[2nd Image captured from ACE Hardware Site: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1297989&cp=&sr= 1&origkw=grounding+bar&kw=grounding+bar&parentPage=search&searchId=35421302134]

No comments:

Post a Comment