Monday, January 28, 2008

Poor Man's SteadyCam


SteadyCams are rigs that help keep a video camera steady even while the cameraman is moving. I found this site last year while I was looking for an alternative to the expensive units that were available. I never constructed one and it slipped my mind until the other day when I was writing about the camera technique that Andy Ihnatko' used on one of his YouTube videos.

A comment on his website mentioned the site I originally found, $14 SteadyCam, and I went back and looked it over again. If you are looking for a inexpensive alternative to a store bought unit that costs several hundred of dollar or more, this might be the way to go.

I stumbled across this YouTube video of some young men building a steadycam in their garage. It looks pretty close to the one from the $14 SteadyCam site, so I included it here. It also has some footage taken with and without the steadycam for comparison.




[Image: Captured at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/]

No comments:

Post a Comment