Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Organizing Lego


A continuing dilemma I had as a technology teacher using Lego was how to organize my kits. I tried throwing everything into one big bin, organizing them in tackle boxes, using plastic boxes designed for hardware and stacking bricks as suggested in today's link. How to organize your lego for efficient building on the Evil Mad Scientist Blog.

The factors I had to take into account when organizing my Lego was:
  • Inventory. Two parts to this, one, making sure pieces that students needed were available and, two, knowing what parts I needed to order.
  • Ease of use. It's no fun if the majority of your time is spent looking for parts.
  • Storage. How do I store, stack, put away all these kits?
  • Theft. Sometimes it's necessary to track what parts go out and if they come back again. I am thankful to say that theft in my lab was not ever a big issue but another lab in my district had problems with items disappearing.

I never did figure out the perfect solution. I ended up using a basic kit in a multi-chambered hardware box that had the minimum number of pieces needed. It had a visual picture and inventory list that went out with the students and they had to organize the kit before turning it back in again. Then I had other parts and bins of parts that students could check out as they needed.

I always hoped that someone would come up with the perfect bin or storage container. Maybe when I retire?


[Image Source: How to Organize your lego for efficient building: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/efficientlego]

No comments:

Post a Comment