Monday, November 26, 2007

Self Tuning Robot Guitar


Cool video of a self tuning guitar.

I don't know how professional musicians might feel about this technology but I once observed a beginning 6th grade guitar class and it felt like a third of the instructor's time was spent keeping the kids in tune. I think she would appreciate every student holding a guitar that tuned itself. More time on task. Fewer asprins at the end of the day.

On a personal note, I know that my playing improved once electronic tuners became affordable. I was lousy at tuning by ear. The battery in my tuner went out a few months ago and I was forced to tune by ear one evening. Much to my surprise I was able to accomplish it with a minimum of effort. Did the tuner take the place of an experienced teacher who could help develop a student's ear?



When I was a boy hanging around the hot rodders and wrench jockeys (you youngsters might call them gear heads in today's lingo) the discussion often came up about manual versus automatic transmission. A hot car can't be hot with an automatic. A good driver wouldn't be caught dead in one of those "sissy cars!"

Wonder if these kind of conversations will start popping up on musician blogs anytime soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment