Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My Walk Score...Stinks!

My friends and I have been playing around with this neat little web site that determines a "walk score" for your home. Enter in your address and it will create a map centered around your house. All the amenities you can walk to are shown as little icons, such as restaurants, schools, coffee shops and parks.

It is an interesting filter to use in studying where you live. I already knew my score was going to be low as I've been complaining about the walk-ability of my neighborhood since I moved here. Now I have a little map and a score of 29 (out of a 100) to show that it's just not my imagination. If I wanted easy access to schools, I would be living in the right place. If I wanted music and entertainment. Not so much.



This could be a jumping off point for a geography class in talking about place. A science class talking about environmental neighborhood design. A husband talking about moving someplace where I, ...er he, can walk to get a cup of coffee!

[Images: "Walk Score." Walk Score. Front Seat Management. 3 Oct 2007 .]

3 comments:

  1. How do I get to this walk dormability web site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Thanks Dorman for the heads up. I fixed the missing link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My walk score is 38… I was rather upset with it. And I was surprised to know that there is another score called drive score to evaluate my house. I found the way to calculate it online at Fizber site (http://drivescore.fizber.com/). I’ve got much better results – 49.

    ReplyDelete