Monday, April 19, 2010

Chariot Skates

I saw something that looked similar to these Chariot Skates at a Cirque de Soleil performance a few years back. I came home that day and sketched out a few diagrams of how I might build a pair for myself. My thought was they would work better off the bike paths and on gravel or dirt paths then inline skates.  I never pursued the design and those diagrams are buried in a notebook somewhere. Never even thought of it again until I saw this post on dVice.

"According to creator Michael Jenkins, Chariot Skates are faster, handle rough terrain better, retain momentum longer and offer a more fluid and comfortable experience. We'll believe faster right off the bat, as these odd-looking skates boast a top speed of 24 miles an hour. "

Unfortunately, the cost will be around $1100 and so I won't be getting a pair anytime soon.  I like the concept though and am looking forward to hearing about some real world testing and results.

Check out the Chariot Skates home page for more details.


Testing 1st samples from new moulds in Sydney & China from Chariot Skates on Vimeo.

The second video shows how you can stop.  Always a good skill if you are traveling at speeds above 20mph.


Stopping from Chariot Skates on Vimeo.

[via dVice]

[Image captured from dVice:http://dvice.com/archives/2010/04/chariot-skates.php]

No comments:

Post a Comment