Tuesday, January 19, 2010

kangoos and barefoot running


Recently finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and in it there is a reference to Barefoot Ted buying a pair of Kangoos before he stumbled upon running barefoot (pg155).  I went online to Ted's website and found one reference to this event.

This got me to thinking about running in the Kangoos. When I first started running in them I tried to come down more on my heels.  That never did feel all that stable.  I finally started to come down more flatfooted and concentrated on lifting my feet off the ground rather than trying to push off.  The spring in the boots helps you to lift naturally and as it turns out I've since seen several references advocating this technique when you run.  Lift your foot off the ground.  Don't push off. (PACE and Chi Running).

When running barefoot, you land more on the ball of your foot which allows the arch  to act as a natural spring.  So now I am wondering if one of the reasons I can run without pain in my Kangoos is because it is forcing me to run correctly?  As soon as it warms up some, I'm going out to try some short barefoot runs to see how it feels.

No answers here only questions.  Not retiring my Kangoos as of yet.

[Image: Flickr: "Barefoot"; frigginacky: uploaded-July 7, 2008:http://www.flickr.com/photos/frigginacky/ / CC BY-NC 2.0]

No comments:

Post a Comment