Sunday, January 31, 2010

Compatibility of iPad Books

Had some fun discussions with my multimedia students after the announcement of the iPad last Wednesday.  Earlier in the week I had challenged them to come up with their own tablet design.  Then we looked at the Apple product and and compared our features to the ones released in Cupertino. 

One of the discussion topics that came up was how compatible would a book you bought for the iPad be with say, a Kindle?  We couldn't quickly find an answer to this but I stumbled on this article by Steven Sanders on TUAW this weekend that answered a lot of our questions.  It's worth a read if you are interested.

My wife and I were talking about the iPad over dinner.  We both own iPods and own a lot of music.  We were never drawn to any of the music subscription schemes out there and always wanted to own what we bought.  I listen to songs over and over and over.   Not true for most books though.  I would willingly join a service that let me keep a book, read it and then go onto the next one.  For a monthly fee, I could read as many or as few books as I wanted.  Be curious to see where this technology ends up.

[Image captured from http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/]

No comments:

Post a Comment