Tuesday, July 14, 2009

kangoo update

I've been sick a lot this past six months. Lots of colds and a particularly nasty sinus infection that just wouldn't go away. This is my excuse for not completely testing my Kangoo boots that I bought in February. I'd get a run in and then be laid up for a while. Summer came on with me being in terrible shape.

So I started off with the plan of bouncing a few times a week. Travel, another cold and a unrelated back injury have kept me from doing that consistently. But, now I am back on track. I bounced yesterday even though my back isn't a hundred percent yet, it was not noticeable while I was exercising. My workouts are currently about thirty minutes. I've worked up to about half running and half walking. I expect that to be mostly running by end of the month.

What I've noticed so far.
  • Able to exercise even when my back is bothering me. I also am able to get out on the road even if my knees are tender. I wish I had tried just walking daily with the boots when I first hurt my back. I think that would have been helpful. Although, if I went down for any reason, I'd of been like a turtle on it's back until helped arrived.
  • Short run is a good workout. Remember I am overweight and out of shape. With that in mind, I feel like I get my heart pumping and give my legs a good workout for the short time I'm on the boots.
  • When I first started bouncing, I'd feel it in my hips and thighs after a workout. Now as I increase my time running, I feel some soreness in my shins. No soreness anywhere else. Wonder if this is related to the gait you are forced into when running in the Kangoos?
  • As I increase my time running I am beginning to notice some hot spots developing. I am wearing heavy hiking socks but I may need to experiment with some lube on my feet or buckling the boots differently. More on this as I build up my time.
I love running again. It has been years since I could get out and do this. If I can do no more than go out a couple times of week and run in the boots for a half hour or so, I'd be a happy camper. If these boots help me work back into a modified running program again, I'd be ecstatic. Either way, I'm still happy with the purchase.

The video below shows the buckle mechanisms a little closer than you may have seen elsewhere. I made this shortly after I got the boots which is why I am dressed for the cold. I also try to demonstrate how to stop. Tried to show some things that I never saw when I was thinking about buying the boots. Hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment