Tuesday, October 21, 2008

We teach kids

Came across this video of Chris Lehmann and it gave me a little burst of inspiration. I feel like I've been in a rut for the past few weeks and his talk got my juices flowing. I needed to hear him say that "we teach kids not subjects". I'm thankful to have a principal who reminds me of that often. Maybe not with those exact words but her intent is clear. I guess I just needed to hear it again this morning from another principal a half continent away.

I was also struck by his comment,
"How is it that we have so many passionate dedicated educators and yet have so many failing schools. The problem is you put a good person in a bad system and the system wins too often."


I might be biased because I'm an educator but the comment sure struck a chord with me. Watch the video and see if you don't find at least one idea you'll share with your colleagues tomorrow.







[via The Thinking Stick]
[Image captured from IgnitePhilly: http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/1042-IgnitePhilly-Five-Minutes-To-Communicate.html]

No comments:

Post a Comment