Thursday, October 25, 2007

Werewolf Learning: Part 4


I’ve posted several videos of a werewolf costume created by a grad student at Western Washington University. I wrote her with some questions about her project. She was more than generous with her answers and I wanted to share some of her responses over the next couple of days.

The comments at the end are mine and reflect my own bias. If you want to read her complete, un-edited comments, they are posted here.


Did you do all the work yourself or was this a group project? If so, how many were involved?

"For the werewolf costume that is on the YouTube website I worked with my partner in crime, Ben. Ben is a mathematician who's hobby is audio engineering. We worked together on the stilts and the body of the werewolf. However, other people helped out. At the hardware store the staff there cut the wood we used for us, folks who saw our videos sent us ideas or comments that used to improve the design as we finished them up. Any big project will involve more people than those who work on it directly."

Collaboration and over the web no less. It excites me to see things we've been talking about for years actually being done. Getting feedback from someone (a stranger) online. How can we help our students with this new way of working together? Or maybe, how do we get out of their way and let them work this way?

I want to thank the two inventors/builders for sharing their process on YouTube and then kindly answering an old technology teacher’s questions. You rock!*

[*I learned that particular saying from students and young teachers who say it all the time. I was going to say, “You guys are groovy!” but several of my proofreaders groaned and demanded I change it.]

[Image: Modified photo by © Chris Harvey - Fotolia.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment